Are you a California resident who was recorded without warning?
The state of California has laws in place that make it illegal for any person or business to record telephone calls without the consent of all the parties to the call. This applies for both inbound and outbound calls.
If you called a company or were called by a company while in California and you did not hear a warning that the call was being recorded, your privacy rights may have been violated.
Find out if you qualify to join this California call recording class action lawsuit investigation by filling out the form on this page for a FREE case evaluation. It’s absolutely free to participate, so act now!
Overview: Call-Recording & California Privacy Rights
Under California law, companies are not permitted to record phone calls without the knowledge of its customers. Several companies have paid multi-million dollar settlements for call recording violations.
Companies who have or may be violating their customers’ rights by recording their conversations in California without warning include:
- Drs. Foster & Smith
- Mears Transportation Group
- Romano’s Macaroni Grill
- Southwest Rapid Rewards (800-445-5764 only)
- United Airlines Pet Safe (800-575-3335 only)
- Cannondale Bicycle Corporation
- Czech Airlines
California has a long history of laws aimed at protecting the privacy rights of its citizens. In California’s Constitution, the right to privacy is considered an inalienable right. Other laws have been passed throughout the years to address privacy issues with the advent of new technologies.
Read More: Can Companies Record Phone Calls?
California generally prohibits the secret recording of telephone calls without a clear warning to all parties that the call is being recorded.
Not getting the permission of all parties that are part of a telephone conversation that is being recorded may be a violation of the California Invasion of Privacy Act. This means that, with few exceptions, when you are making or receiving a call in the state of California any person or business must get the consent of all parties to the conversation before the call may be recorded.
Businesses often record customer service phone calls based on the claim that the recording is for training purposes or improving customer service. In some states, these calls may be recorded as long as the employee consents, in almost all cases, California requires that all parties involved in the conversation consent to the recording. This means that in almost all cases, both the employee and the customer must consent to have the phone call recorded. Remaining on the line after a warning implies consent.
Businesses that violate this law in California may be subject to damages in the amount of $5,000 per violation or three times the amount the damages suffered.
If you live in California and you did not receive a warning when calling a toll-free number, your call may have been recorded in violation of California law, and you may be entitled to compensation. Fill out the form on this page for a FREE case evaluation.
Get Help – It’s Free
Join a Free California Call Recording Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
If you qualify, an attorney will contact you to discuss the details of your potential case at no charge to you.
Please Note: If you want to participate in this investigation, it is imperative that you reply to the law firm if they call or email you. Failing to do so may result in you not getting signed up as a client or getting you dropped as a client.
E-mail any problems with this form to:
After you fill out the form, the attorneys who work with Top Class Actions will contact you if you qualify to let you know if an individual lawsuit or class action lawsuit is best for you.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements.
Counsel responsible for this advertisement include Eric A. Grover at:
Keller Grover LLP
PAID ATTORNEY ADVERTISEMENT: THIS WEB PAGE IS AN ADVERTISEMENT AND THE PARTICIPATING ATTORNEY(S) ARE INCLUDED BECAUSE THEY PAY AN ADVERTISING FEE. Top Class Actions is not a law firm, lawyer referral service, or prepaid legal services plan. We do not endorse or recommend any third-party claims processing company, lawyer, or law firm who participates in the network. We do not make any representation, and have not made any judgment, as to the qualifications, expertise, or credentials of any participating lawyer or processing group. No representation is made that the quality of the legal services or claims processing to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services or claims processing performed by other lawyers or claims processing group. The information contained herein is not legal advice. Any information you submit to Top Class Actions does not create an attorney-client relationship and might not be protected by attorney-client privilege. Instead, your information will be forwarded to an attorney or claims processing firm for the purpose of a confidential review and potential representation. You should not use this website to submit confidential, time-sensitive, or privileged information. All photos contained on this website are of models and do not depict clients.
- Materials on this website are for general information only and are not intended to be legal advice for your specific problem.
- Laws and courts’ interpretations of those laws can change frequently. The articles provided on this website were written at a specific point in time and are not updated. Thus, you should not rely on any specific statement therein or elsewhere on this website as necessarily setting forth the current state of the law.
- Legal outcomes can depend upon the specific facts of each case. Thus, there can be no assurance that the information on this website is applicable to your specific situation. You always should rely on the advice of a licensed attorney who is advising you regarding the specific facts of your case over any general information that you have obtained here.
- You may wish to consult with Keller Grover LLP regarding your legal problem. Nevertheless, neither sending Keller Grover LLP an email or other electronic communication nor contacting Keller Grover LLP by telephone can by itself create an attorney-client relationship between Keller Grover LLP and you. Rather, until Keller Grover LLP has signed a legal services agreement with you, Keller Grover LLP does not represent you and is not your legal counsel. Any information that you receive before Keller Grover LLP has signed a legal services agreement is provided solely as a courtesy. Further, any such information may not be based upon all facts relevant to your problem.
- The Internet is a porous and leaky place. This office cannot guarantee the confidentiality of email transmissions or other electronic communications. Telephone conversations, in general, can be more private and secure than email.
- This website and the materials on it are not intended and shall not be construed as seeking an attorney-client relationship with anyone in any jurisdiction in which Eric A. Grover is not licensed to practice law and are not intended and shall not be construed as communications to anyone in any jurisdiction in which any such communications would be unlawful or otherwise actionable.
- You may not reproduce, republish, transmit or distribute the materials on this website unless you have first obtained our written permission to do so.
- Prior results, testimonials and endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.
Top Class Actions is a Proud Member of the American Bar Association
LEGAL INFORMATION IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE
This site provides information about the law and lawsuits and is designed to help users safely cope with their own legal needs. Legal information is NOT the same as legal advice - the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that our information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. You should consider all postings or writings at TopClassActions.com by staff or others as personal opinion only and NOT the advice of a lawyer. Top Class Actions Legal Statement
©2008 – 2020 Top Class Actions® LLC
Various Trademarks held by their respective owners
Please note: Top Class Actions is not a settlement administrator or law firm. Top Class Actions is a legal news source that reports on class action lawsuits, class action settlements, drug injury lawsuits and product liability lawsuits. Top Class Actions does not process claims and we cannot advise you on the status of any class action settlement claim. You must contact the settlement administrator or your attorney for any updates regarding your claim status, claim form or questions about when payments are expected to be mailed out.