BancorpSouthUPDATE 2: The BancorpSouth Overdraft Class Action Settlement has been terminated and the lawsuit dismissed.

UPDATE 1: Recent court orders have delayed the claims filing process for the BancorpSouth Overdraft Fee Class Action Lawsuit Settlement.

BancorpSouth has agreed to pay $1.75 million to settle a class action lawsuit accusing it of charging customers improper overdraft fees. Current and former BancorpSouth customers who were charged a non-sufficient funds fee or overdraft fee between 2004 and 2011 can file a claim to receive a refund from the class action settlement.

The BancorpSouth overdraft fee settlement will resolve a class action lawsuit accusing the Mississippi-based bank of assessing non-sufficient funds fees and overdraft fees on debit card and check purchases and ATM withdrawals in a number of ways that were illegal.

According to the BancorpSouth overdraft fee class action lawsuit, the bank resequenced transactions to maximize the number of non-sufficient funds fees and overdraft fees it charged to customers. This was allegedly accomplished by processing the largest transaction first instead of processing the transactions as they were received.

BancorpSouth denies the allegations, but has agreed to a class action lawsuit settlement to resolve the litigation.

A federal court preliminarily approved the BancorpSouth settlement and has set a final approval hearing for July 30, 2012.

More than 350,000 current and former customers are covered under the BancorpSouth class action settlement, which includes all persons in the United States who currently or in the past had a BancorpSouth account in which at least one non-sufficient funds fee or overdraft fee was charged or collected between May 1, 2004 through and including December 31, 2011.

In order to receive a refund from the BancorpSouth overdraft fee settlement, you must be meet the following additional qualifications: (1) you incurred two or more overdraft fees during one banking day as a result of a BancorpSouth debit card transaction during the period listed above, and (2) the overdraft fee was not reversed, refunded, or returned by the bank.

To receive a payment from the BancorpSouth class action lawsuit settlement, you must submit an electronic claim online at or a paper claim to the Settlement Administrator no later than September 13, 2012.

Claim forms and more information on your rights in the BancorpSouth Overdraft Fee Class Action Lawsuit Settlement can be found at

Detailed instruction on how to file your claim and receive a refund can be found in our Open Lawsuit Settlements section.

Join a Free Bank Overdraft Class Action Lawsuit Investigation

If you have incurred overdraft fees in the last three years from any of the following banks, you may be eligible to participate in a class action lawsuit to recover some or all of your overdraft fees:

  • Ally Financial Inc.
  • Bank of Hawaii
  • Bank of the West
  • Capital One Financial Corp.
  • Commerce Bank
  • Fifth Third Bancorp
  • HSBC North America Holdings Inc.
  • BOKF NA (includes Bank of Albuquerque, Bank of Arizona, Bank of Arkansas, Bank of Kansas City, Bank of Oklahoma, Bank of Texas, and Colorado State Bank and Trust).

Join Now

We tell you about cash you can claim EVERY WEEK! Sign up for our free newsletter.

Please note: Top Class Actions is not a settlement administrator or law firm. Top Class Actions is a legal news source that reports on class action lawsuits, class action settlements, drug injury lawsuits and product liability lawsuits. Top Class Actions does not process claims and we cannot advise you on the status of any class action settlement claim. You must contact the settlement administrator or your attorney for any updates regarding your claim status, claim form or questions about when payments are expected to be mailed out.



  • Anonymous May 24, 2012

    I had more than two accounts with bancorpsouth and do not remember the account no. what do I do . I wonder if I can just give them my ok can they look it up . I closed a account and do not know the number due to overdarfts.

  • Anonymous June 4, 2012

    could please send my refund to 425 Lambuth Blvd jackson Tn 38301 for the overdraft fee.

  • Anonymous June 5, 2012

    My son and I also had a account that was closed and we can not remember the account number our branch where we had the account from 2007-2010, could not or would not give us the account. I still have an account with BancorpSouth and want to know how can I get the account number , my son was in the army and his check was sent direct deposit .

  • Anonymous June 8, 2012

    I had an account with bankcorp south but i cant remember the account number.i was sent a claim form but dont have the dates,so i dont know how to fill out the form.i think my year was 2007to2009or 2110.

  • Anonymous June 11, 2012

    I had my account down to about a dollar. I owed some overdraft fees to bankcorpsouth. I was waiting on my refund check from thw IRS and when my check did come Bankcorpsouth took the fees from my IRS check (that was direct deposit) without my permission, didn’t do a deposit slip or anything. I asked them about it and they said Well wa’re gonna get our money regardless. I was going to pay them anyway, But THey didn’t even give me that chance. The moment my IRS check went in the bank , Te sooner they took that money witch I’m not so sure it was their money afterall now.
    Stacey AL.

  • Anonymous July 22, 2012

    Bancorp South is stilling resequencing my account!!!! Who can I contact about this?

  • Anonymous September 4, 2012

    i am in the lawsuit and i sent in my form but i never heard anything yet but could you send my refund to my 1345 troy al, 36081 thank you!

  • Anonymous September 30, 2012

    I filled out form online received a confirmation number haven’t heard anything since just wanna know when will I receive my settlement check

  • Anonymous October 11, 2012

    ditto, vickie

  • Anonymous October 19, 2012

    I filled out the claim form too and wonder when the check will arrive?

  • Anonymous October 31, 2012

    I tried to file a claim on Sept.13 2012,couldn’t get the site to file.

  • Anonymous November 18, 2012

    I filed my check & haven’t received my check yet. How do I get my check? How anyone else received a check yet?

  • Anonymous November 21, 2012

    according to, a court order was entered by another federal court that appears to be the subject of an appeal. So, guess we have to wait and see. If you go to the website you can read the whole thing that they wrote.

  • ala guerra March 14, 2013

    My opinion….This is a bank that has all documents ans numbers to know who has an account and who is entitled to refund. The have this format to know who is to receive so i would not worry too much i did however submit my intent as well.. This is a BANK and they will find out and scroll thru the alphabet! and their money!!!! Be patient.

  • Paulette Collier June 30, 2013

    I read the information up above,telling that the sitution,had been resolved,done,finish,cleared,i,m glad,i wasn,t interested.Thanks.

  • Regina Jackson August 28, 2013

    Has this been settled??? If so where is my check???

  • vincent talley September 2, 2013

    when will settletement be mail out

  • Lisa Sipes September 16, 2013

    If there was a settlement I never recieved payment. I recieved a letter about 2 months ago but never a check. How do I go about recieving my compensation.

  • Daniel U. Dunn September 17, 2013

    I’m going to wait and see before I pass judgement on the lawfirm who filed this class action and how Bancorp-South respond’s.

  • Harriet M. Draper June 2, 2014

    I’m inquiring about the status of the settlement.

    I have a new mailing address: P O Box 3063 and phone# (662) 607-2276
    Oxford,MS 38655

    Thank you!

  • Harriet M. Draper June 2, 2014

    Inquiring about the status of settlement

  • Terrance Brown July 11, 2014

    I have a new mailing address p.o. box 2721 hot springs AR 71914

  • Terrance Brown July 11, 2014

    I have a new mailing address p.o. box 2721 hot springs AR 71914 phone number 6629310336

  • Kenneth McCarley July 17, 2014

    Hello. I filed a settlement and haven’t received my refund check or haven’t heard anything. My phone # is 479-459-2342 and my current address is 2121 Harrison Ave. Apartment # H6 Panama City, Florida 32405. Please let me know if and when this will be settled and when could I expect my refund. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

View all: